Each year I create a list of goals for every area in my life. Throughout the year I work on those goals, track my progress and my challenges. Then, to keep myself honest, I commit to posting a list of some of my top accomplishments and challenges, and some of my smaller ones as well.
I challenge you to create a list of goals, keep track of them during the year, and then celebrate and post your accomplishments at year end. If you do, please let me know. I’d love to look at your list.
- Major goal accomplished: I completed the final draft edits and formatting of my 90,000+ word crime novel, Year of the Demon.
- Sent Year of the Demon to the Minotaur Books/MWA First Crime Novel competition.
- One of my favorite authors read and gave me feedback on the YOTD manuscript.
- Commissioned a new cover for Wolves of Vengeance from Lynne Hansen Design.
- Currently at 65,000 words of a projected 90k on my paranormal thriller, The Tower (working title). I set this book aside to complete YOTD and to take advantage of some other writing opportunities.
- Having seen a publisher’s open call for military horror/creature novels, and having an idea for a novel length story that meets the guidelines, I decided to bring back Captain Amanda Rann from WOV and begin a draft. The open call doesn’t have an end date, and it’s very likely that they’ll close submissions before the novel is complete. If that happens, I’ll be ready when they open again. I’m currently 20,000 words into the manuscript. No matter what, this is a story that has to be written. Another opportunity came up, one with a very defined set of perimeters and end date, and I felt I needed to put this novel on hold for a short time while I worked on the new project. See below:
- Another publisher has an open call for novella length fantasy stories of varying sub-genre, fantasy worlds that are inspired by cultures other than the usual stories based on ancient Western civilization. I finally came up with the perfect idea and began writing. I’m over 10k into the story, and hoping I can finish by the 12th of January when they close. This one requires so much research that the deadline may very well be impossible. Tor may extend the date depending on how many viable manuscripts they receive. Either way, I have my fingers crossed.
- Wrote a horror noir short story (5K).
- Wrote another horror noir story based on an old story, reinventing it with everything I’ve learned over the years (5K).
- Wrote the first draft of a dark fantasy flash fiction story (1K).
- Began an edit of a previously written story for an open call anthology but abandoned in favor of a new story.
- Began an edit of an old story, but decided to abandon it for now. I might return to it if the right market opens up.
- Performed a virtual reading of Sat Down Inside Her from a room at Mohegan Sun. Sat Down Inside Her
- Sent out short fiction to 4 markets. I spent most of my time working on long fiction this year.
- Wrote two short stories. Again, I decided to spend my time on novels this year.
- Wrote reviews of books I enjoyed.
- Included in a writing round table with some fantastic authors.
Down and Dirty: The Ultimate Writer’s Round Table Joust: Part 1
Down and Dirty: The Ultimate Writer’s Round Table Joust: Part 2
- Celebrated 29 years of formal martial arts practice 1987 – present. Next year will be 30 years!
- Attended Raffi Derderian‘s Kali and Jeet Kune Do seminar at the Metrowest Academy of Jiu Jitsu. Trained with Master Tony.
- Made some fun martial arts videos:
- Trained with my friends Master Tony and Ms. Adrienne
- Attended the Raffi Derderian Kali seminar at Britt’s Tae Kwon Do in Gardner, MA.
- Attended a benefit for the legendary Sigung Taky Kimura at Derderian Academy of Martial arts. Trained under two of Sigung Taky’s top students in Bruce Lee’s original Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune D0. They came all the way from the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute of Seattle.
- I brought my old Wave Master Training Bag into the corner of the living room and put down a puzzle mat to create a small dojo/dojang/kwoon in the living room! Don’t tell my wife! 😉
- Attended Master Larry Tatum’s Kenpo Karate Seminar at the Derderian Academy.
- Worked on Kali stick work, Panantukan – Filipino Boxing, and JKD mitt drills with Patty in our home training group.
- Practiced Kali Sinawali and single stick drills
- Worked JKD boxing drills and all my kicks, on training bag.
- Utilizing JKD and FMA as a conduit, I was able to integrate all previous martial arts training. This has taken me years to accomplish.
- Focused on Naihanchi (Tekki) Sam Dan & Jindo (Gankaku Kai) forms.
- Had two ophthalmologist appointments. Glaucoma medication increased.
- Had two dental cleanings. Began using fluoride rinse.
- Got an eye infection. Antibiotic eye drops cleared it up.
- Had annual physical and taken off of low oxalate diet.
- My weight has fluctuated, but overall it is down.
- Increased weight training.
- Called my Mom & Dad 2x each week.
- Had lunch with my parents and took them to see 13 Hours at the cinema.
- Had lunch at Olive Garden with the in-laws/outlaws.
- Celebrated our grandniece’s birthday.
- Visited my Mom & Dad at Foxwoods.
- Visited Mom after attending a martial arts seminar in the area.
- Celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary.
- Breakfast with outlaws at Meadowbrook Orchard.
- Helped my uncle with a computer issue.
- Attended an educational PowWow at the Foxwood’s Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center with my parents and danced with my Mom
- Visited the outlaws new townhouse.
- Brought my parents to see a movie in Worcester.
- Contacted my brother and let him know about money the state owed him.
- Celebrated our 24th anniversary of our 1st date.
- Had breakfast with my Mom & Dad in Webster.
- Kept in contact with my aunt.
- Visited my father-in-law for lunch and fixed his wifi and set up his laptop.
- Had Thanksgiving breakfast with my Mom & Dad
- Donated in my sister’s name.
- Sent my grand niece to see Doctor Strange.
- Visited my parents for a pre-Christmas/Hanukkah breakfast and then went to the Townsend Rod & Gun Club where my Dad taught me how to load and shoot a black powder rifle.
- Attended my niece’s baby shower.
- Attended Christmas gathering at the outlaws.
- Became a Great Uncle for the 3rd time.
- Went to see Adam Carolla at Foxwoods. Ate at Junior’s Deli.
- Patty’s car – Inspection, oil change, wheels rotated and balanced, brake job, airbag recall, replaced broken sun visor, replaced ignition coil (under warranty) and wires.
- My car – B service, wipers, airbag recall, replaced battery, brake job.
- Had an accident in my car and had car repaired.
- Had a part fail and had to go back and have them replace the part.
- General maintenance and cleaning.
- Fixed TV by taking it apart and cleaning the fan.
- Replaced bathroom rugs.
- Changed the high/low return air registers for Summer & Winter.
- Maintained air cleaners.
- Cleaned out house and brought junk to dumpster provided by the association.
- Replaced a burnt out AC capacitor in our central AC unit.
- Created a small dojo by installing puzzle mats.
- Took down old shades and installed curtains in the living room and dining area.
- Removed and installed new blinds in bedroom.
- Patty utilized a shredding day to get rid of our confidential documents at work.
- Cleaned behind the fridge and stopped it from overheating.
- Portland Maine – Stayed at the Portland Regency Hotel & Spa. Went to Holy Donut, dinner at the Armory Lounge where they played blues music and we relaxed and had drinks. I tried Woodford Reserve Bourbon on the rocks and enjoyed it. Irish pub, Elevation Burger, hotel restaurant. We poked around the shops. Jewish Museum. Alex & Ani.
- Mohegan Sun – I turned Patty’s three day work seminar into a writing retreat. While Patty was at the seminar I stayed in the deluxe king room and worked on a novel. We ate at Summer Shack, Michael Jordan’s 22 Sports Cafe. I tried a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon and l really enjoyed it.
- Bronx Zoo – We visited the Congo area, saw the Gorilla exhibit, rode the monorail, and went to jungle world. We also saw sea lions yelling at each other.
- Boston – Stayed at the Onyx Hotel on the Penthouse level. Ate at Boston Beer Works. Had a good time.
That’s it for 2016. See you in 2017… HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!