Each year I create a list of goals for every area of my life. Throughout the year I work on my goals, track my progress, and then commit to posting my top accomplishments. This is my 10th year!
The Tower (working title- 97,000 words)
- Completed the first draft of The Tower (working title). The manuscript clocked in at 97,000 words.
- Began 2nd draft.
Year of the Assassin (94,000 word crime thriller)
- Completed 1st draft of both a 10 page and a 2 page Synopsis
- An editor for a large independent publisher asked to see the full manuscript based on the query letter. I submitted the full manuscript.
- Queried with samples to 3 agents. I researched and wrote targeted letters.
- Sent query letters to 2 independent presses.
Fantasy Novella, (20,000 words)
- Researched and wrote targeted letters.
- Edited 2nd draft. – Put The Tower aside to work on edits.
- Completed 20k word manuscript and cover letter.
- Submitted to open call at major publisher.
- Submitted a revised version 16,000 words to major science fiction and fantasy. magazine. “There’s some good writing here. Hope you’ll consider us in the future.”
- Submitted revised version to a major contest.
- Short stories
This year I spent extra time on short fiction.
- Wrote or reimagined 7 short stories approximately 25,000 words in total.
- Submitted stories to 11 markets.
Reading – Notable Fiction read in 2018
- The Big Bopper by Reb MacRath
- The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield
- The Terror by Dan Simmons
- American Assassin by Vince Flynn
- The Moore House by Tony Trembley
- Headhunter by Michael Slade
- Legion by William Peter Blatty
- Reviewed The Big Bopper
- Reviewed The Moore House
Unlike last year, I spent less time attending martial arts seminars and more time writing.
- Attended Drowning in Kali III at the Derderian Academy of Martial Arts.
Home training included:
- Stick, double stick, stick & knife, Filipino Boxing.
- Western Boxing, JKD combinations, kick boxing, shadowboxing, heavy bag work. HIIT training.
- Karate/TKD/TSD Kata/Hyung.
- Kendo sword cuts.
- Weight Lifting.
- Body weight exercises.
- Ophthalmology – No change = good!
- Optometry- Slight change but no need to change glasses.
- 1st Dental cleaning – gold star.
- 2nd Dental cleaning and X-rays – gold star.
- Signed up for temporary insurance and than insurance at Patty’s new job.
- Had to get new referrals for specialists.
- I was able to reduce Pepcid AC usage.
- Blood work and fasting glucose. All testing normal.
- Annual physical – Gold star. My weight was up 3 lbs since my last physical, but the doctor didn’t seem concerned with it. It’s all muscle, I tell ya!
- Got a flu shot.
- Celebrated Patty’s milestone birthday at Toyo Japanese Steak House.
- Called parents twice a week to keep in touch.
- Visited Grand Niece and Nephew in CT for birthday.
- Went to see a movie with my parents.
- Went to see a movie with my dad.
- Wished and/or celebrated family birthdays.
- Celebrated my birthday with a Grandma’s of New England coffee cake (my favorite!). Patty ordered and had it shipped to me.
- Had my first Facetime chat with my Grand Niece and Nephew.
- Kept in touch with my former college English professor through email.
- Attended my Brother-in-Law’s mother’s funeral and attended the fellowship at Kamahlot in Templeton.
- Called to wish my Aunt a happy birthday.
- Called my brother.
- Took my mom, dad, and aunt to Texas Roadhouse for Mother’s Day.
- Went out with my mom and dad for Pizza for father’s day.
- Congratulated my 2nd cousin on his 7th dan in Judo (5th dan from Kodakan).
- Babysat for my Grand Niece and nephew.
- Had breakfast with my parents at Foxwoods.
- My Auntie Anna passed away this year. She will be missed.
- Assisted Patty with her transition to a new job.
- Celebrated Christmas at Junior’s Deli at Foxwoods with my parents. Brought my brother and sis-in-law in on the celebration through FaceTime.
- After Christmas get together and house warming with Patty’s family at sister-in-law’s new house in CT.
- Continued nightly prayers.
- Lit candle in remembrance of my sister.
- Had Good Friday and Easter dinner with Patty.
- Kept Passover to the best of my ability.
- Brought Patty to the National Shrine of the Divine Mercy.
- Patty bought a 2017 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring fully loaded for work. -Top goal!
- Performed general maintenance on Patty’s car.
- Performed general maintenance on my car.
- Upgraded to AAA Plus.
- Had a chimney sweep company clean our chimney.
- Leak test completed on our AC system.
- New condenser coil installed.
- Bees exterminated.
- Cleaned and organized walk in closet.
Fun & Travel
- Stayed at Marriot Renaissance in Providence, RI.
- Met one of Patty’s old co-workers for lunch at Mohegan Sun at The Hash House.
- Spent a weekend in Freeport Maine.
- Visited the Capron Park Zoo in Attleboro.
- Attended Steely Dan & Doobie brother’s Concert at Xfinity Center.
- Went to see James Taylor at Tanglewood with one of Patty’s Co-workers. Watched. Fireworks on July 4th in Albany NY. Stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites for 3 nights. Got a deal by buying points.
- Attended the Mohegan Sun Whiskey Union.
- Laphroaig 10
- Ardbeg An Oa
- Glendalough 7 – Irish Whiskey
- Highland Park 12
- Macallan Sherry Oak 12
- Nikka Coffee Grain Whiskey
- Ragtime Rye
- Singleton 12
- Suntori Toki
- Glenfiddich 15
- Monkey Shoulder
- Sampled Bulleit Burbon – at Foxwoods.
- Traveled with Patty for work to NY and utilized the time for a writing retreat.
- Upgraded Drop Box for Scrivener files.
- Upgraded to High Sierra and Mojave.
- Canceled PS Vue and switched to Directv Now.
- Canceled Sprint and returned to Verizon.
Movies Watched at a Cinema
- 15:17 to Paris – Cinemaworld in Fitchburg with parents.
- Death Wish (2018) – Cinemaworld in Fitchburg with my dad.
- Mission Impossible: Fallout – Providence IMAX
- The Nun – Providence IMAX with Patty.
- Peppermint – North Attleboro Showcase 4k projection and recliners.
- Halloween (2018) – Regal Cinemas Fishkill, NY.
- Creed II – Regal Cinemas Fishkill, NY.
That’s it for 2018. See you in 2019… Happy New Year!!!