In an attempt to keep some sort of momentum going with this blog, I’ve decided to give you an update on what I’ve been working on during the month of January. It’s been a pretty good month. I’m hoping to make a couple videos soon that will show how I go about goal setting and planning my year. Until then, I give you this…
- My SF/Horror story “Sat Down Inside Her” was accepted into the untitled 3rd annual New England Horror Writer’s anthology slated for an early summer release. More information to come.
- I received a rejection from a top market with a “hope to see more stories from you in the future” from the editor. As one writer commented on FB, “I hope you know that’s a fabulous response.” Some of my non-writer friends don’t understand how a rejection can be a good thing. Suffice it to say that when an editor from a top pro market says he’d like to see more of your work, you know your writing is near or at the level of that market. All that it will take is writing a story that catches the editor’s fancy to get an acceptance letter. Maybe that and a little luck. As you can well imagine, cracking this market has been put on the top of my goal list.
- Year of the Demon (Conspiracy/Crime Thriller): I began working on the 3rd draft of this 90,000 word novel.
- The Tower (Paranormal Haunting/Woman in Jeopardy Crime Thriller) : I’m approximately 15,200 words or 61 pages into the first draft of this novel. Currently, I’m projecting that it will run about 90,000 words when completed.
- Proxy Mate (Dystopian SF) : I’m approximately 11,250 words or 45 pages into what most likely will be a novella. At present, I have no idea how long this story will run.
- Wolves of Vengeance (Multi-Genre Supernatural Thriller): has had an uptick is sales and borrows this month. Updating the book description, changing the genre descriptors, and gaining a couple more glowing reviews has seemed to help.
- I finished Red Champagne by Reb MacRath, and highly recommend.
- Completed Write, Publish, Repeat. I thought it was a decent read with some interesting concepts on Indy publishing. Also began Let’s Get Digital.
- I just started A Different Kind of Slumber by Doug Rinaldi, and am enjoying it.
Family & Friends
- Called my parents at least once per week.
- Kept in contact with my aunt through email.
- Celebrated Patty’s birthday.
- Kept up with friends on social media.
- Contacted my friend and former Gothic & Arthurian lit professor through email to stay in touch.
- Lit a candle for my sister on the anniversary of her death.
- So many good seminars this month, and I wasn’t able to attend any of them. At least I got plety of training in at home.
- Five or six rounds of shadowboxing at least 2x per week with Patty using the Bas Rutten MMA Workout audio CDs.
- Practiced Kali sinawali
- Continued practicing Naihanchi forms
Fitness & Health
- Lost a half inch from my waist and about a pound of fat since I began tracking again.
- Began using myfitnesspal again to track my weightloss and fitness goals.
- Utilized the original P90X DVDs a few times this month, doing about 30 minutes each (focused on Core Synergistics and Back & Chest).
- Had my semi-annual dental cleaning.
- Had D service on my car, along with an oil change.
- Had my car inspected and a parking light replaced.
- Bought a set of precision screwdrivers at Ace Hardware. I’m going to upgrade the memory in my Mac. That’s the plan, at least.
- General cleaning and maintenance.
- I’ve enjoyed drinking Glenmorangie The Original and Glenlevit 12. I’m very new to the world of whisky snobbery, but I find that it suits me. Haha! I enjoyed a sample of Glenlevit 15, but didn’t notice much difference from the 12. Tried Talisker at the recomendation of some writer friends and have found it a very acquired taste. I’m not used to the smokey/peaty taste, and not sure I’ll ever like it. All is not lost, though. I’ll be bringing whatever is left to AnthoCon where I will be very happy to share!
- I survived the Blizzard of 2015.
- I got a haircut. I look almost human again. Almost…
- World War Z ***
- Escape Plan **
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier ****
I’ll create an addendum if I think of anything else.
Until next time…