2011 Goals Accomplished…Now onto 2012!
2011 Goals Accomplished…Now onto 2012!
Every year I create a list of goals for every area in my life. Throughout the year I work on these goals and track my progress. Then, to keep myself honest, I commit to posting a list of some of my top accomplishments and some of the smaller ones as well. What a great year! 2011 has been my best year for accomplishments since 2006! I finally feel like I have some momentum.
Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Massachusetts, (UMASS) Lowell with a BLA degree with concentrations in English and psychology.
Introduction to the Internet—Grade: A
Sold “The Language of Ice” short story to the Extinct Doesn’t Mean Forever Anthology: http://www.amazon.com/Extinct-Doesnt-Mean-Forever-ebook/dp/B004SUOWMU/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
What this gave me besides a check and publishing credit:
- Accepted into my first e-book anthology.
- My Editor (Phoenix Sullivan) gave me a fantastic line edit that changed the way I revise my stories.
- The sale allowed me to get an author’s page on Amazon, BN.com, Smashwords, and Goodreads. http://www.amazon.com/David-North-Martino/e/B004TIM8WC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_9
- Had my first press release sent out from Dare to Dream Press.
- My publisher also uploaded TLOI as a short story single. http://www.amazon.com/The-Language-of-Ice-ebook/dp/B005FG17QK/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3
- My story included with a group of fantastic international writers.
- I made friends with some incredible writers.
- Attended the virtual launch party.
Sold “Malfeasance” short story to Epitaphs: The Journal of the New England Horror Writers (an anthology). http://www.amazon.com/Epitaphs-Journal-England-Horror-Writers/dp/0982727593/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325263737&sr=8-1
What it gave me besides a check and a publishing credit:
- Accepted into my first print anthology.
- A physical book with my name on the back cover.
- My story included with a group of fantastic New England Writers including an award winning best-selling author and an award winning internationally best-selling author.
- A physical book to place on the bookcase I inherited from my grandmother.
- The privilege and honor to represent the New England Horror Writers.
- My 2nd anthology credit of the year.
- My editor (Tracy Carbone) gave me advice that has changed the way I write my stories
- I gave my first reading at Anthocon in Portsmouth, NH.
- I participated in my first signing at Anthocon in Portsmouth, NH.
I reconnected with writing friends and made a ton of new writing friends.
I also sent out short stories to 9 markets this year.
Wrote 4 short stories this year and am halfway though another one.
Wolves of Vengeance:
Completed edit using notes and suggestions from author extraordinaire Ray Garton.
Decided to remove 40k words to tighten story and go back to basics. Completed what will hopefully be the last major overhaul draft.
Continued using Scrivener to write and structure novels.
Wrote synopsis for two more novels.
Used Duotrope.com to research short story markets and keep up with the needs of publishers.
Donated to Duotrope.com
Paid Horror Writer’s Association (HWA) dues.
Celebrated 24 years of martial arts training.
Taught private lessons in Tang Soo Do.
Learned Naihanchi Cho Dan and Ye Dan forms (Master Phil Critiqued forms).
I earned my Ee Dan black belt rank grade in Tang Soo Do from Grandmaster Rhee (9thDan).
I had a student use the self-defense techniques I taught her to defend herself against a knife wielding potential serial killer and survive with only superficial wounds. Her victory is also mine. And I couldn’t be prouder.
Trained at Gould’s TKD (Tae Kwon Do/ Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan).
Trained with Master Phil in Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido.
Attended a tactical firearms training given by a State Trooper.
Sold GPS to upgrade.
Held family financial meetings.
Continued leveraging taxes to tax preparer.
Completed all regular maintenance and replaced headlamps in both vehicles.
My Grandnephew Caolan Thomas was born!
Supported my Dad by attending the Vet’s BBQ.
Visited Parents at Foxwoods.
Bought Patty flowers for Valentines Day.
Contacted my parents by phone each week.
Out to dinner with In-Laws to Outback.
Supported my wife with her diet.
Attended Sarah’s (niece) welcome home party from Kosovo.
John (nephew) returned from Afghanistan!
Called Mom for mother’s day.
Celebrated 16 years of marriage and 19 years together.
Attend Father’s Day BBQ at in laws.
Had breakfast at Foxwoods for Mother’s birthday.
Met my Grandnephew.
Had my niece and nephew up and had pizza with them.
Put Grandmother’s picture up on bookcase that I inherited.
Visited Mom, Dad, Uncle Freddy, and visited Danielle’s new apartment.
Had Thanksgiving at In-Laws.
Christmas at the In-Laws.
Lost approximately 12 lbs of fat (regained about 5 lbs because of injury and holidays).
Joined Planet Fitness and used treadmill and/or elliptical at least 2x per week.
Began a running/elliptical program.
Dental Cleanings—no cavities.
Tried another medication but decided to go back on Protonix for now.
Had a great physical: all systems normal.
Eye appointment: eyes have stayed the same.
Went to physical therapy to fix my shoulder and was discharged to independent training.
Met up with Jason S. at Vet’s Bike and BBQ.
Trained in TKD and Hapkido with my friend Master Phil.
Used social media to keep up with friends.
Outfitted the patio with a table and a grill.
Had the HVAC fan fixed.
Changed rugs in upstairs bathroom.
Changed toilet seats in upstairs and downstairs bathroom.
Cleaned out kitchen cabinets.
Cleaned scuffs off walls.
Fixed flag holder and put up flag.
Had HVAC heating coil fixed.
Continued cleaning garage and study.
Got a quote for a new water heater and furnace.
Had front storm door handle fixed.
Had new water heater, furnace, and thermostat installed.
United Way Keel Club of Leadership.
Received Operation Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn plaque for soldier support.
Food to local food pantry.
Donated clothing to charity.
Seminar in Burlington, MA. Stayed in a Hyatt Suite.
Mohegan Sun, CT
AnthoCon in Portsmouth, NH
Joined Red Sox Nation.
Attended Earth, Wind & Fire concert at Mohegan sun.
Watched the Bruins win the Stanley Cup on the big screen!
Attended Motley Crue with Poison and New York Dolls at Mohegan.
Got an evernote account
Continued using the Anthony Robbins Rapid Planning Method (RPM). I’ve been using this planning system since 2001.
That’s all for 2011…now onto 2012!
Connect with me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/dnorthmartino